The Hospital Education Service is a team of teachers and other education support staff who provide education for school age children who are unable to attend their usual school temporarily due to accident or illness, or teenage pregnancy and young motherhood. The Service provides an education to students at University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire, Whitmore Park Annexe and home tuition to individuals who are unable to attend school due to injuries, illnesses or any other reason.
We have knowledge and experience of:
- The need for continuity in education, despite hospitalisation, illness, pregnancy and young motherhood
- The ways in which medical conditions affect learning and development
- The additional needs of young girls facing pregnancy and motherhood
- The long-term effects of interrupted education on children's capacity for reaching their potential.
We work with children, teachers, parents/carers, medical staff and other agencies to promote the development and learning of children aged 4 -16 years.
We work directly with children and young people who have difficulties in areas such as:
- Attending their usual school following hospitalisation or long term illness
- Reaching their full potential because of time missed at their usual school due to various medical conditions
- Re-integrating successfully back into their usual school.
- Managing pregnancy and motherhood, together with schooling.