Children's Disability Register
What is the Children's Disability Register?
It is a confidential list of names and basic information about children with disabilities, special or additional needs.
The Children Act 1989 required all local authorities to establish a register of children with a disability in their area. This will then be used to assist service planning to meet the needs of children with disabilities and their families. Children's names are added to the register at their parents request, and in return parents can receive information about services available in their area.
The information held on the register is confidential. It conforms to the Data Protection Act. Only authorised workers from children's services, education and health can access the information, via the Register Co-ordinator.
Does your child have to be included?
NO. Inclusion on the register is voluntary. Your child can be removed from the register at any time. However, we believe most parents and carers will see the benefits and want their child to be included because it will :
- help us to identify the needs of children with disabilities in general and plan appropriate services for them
- ensure that services across children's services, education and health are aware of your child and his/her needs
- help us to plan for your child's future needs and assist in the transition to adulthood
- enable us to keep you up-to-date about our services, through regular updates, newsletters and bulletins
Will it effect entitlement to services?
NO. Services are dependent on assessed needs, not inclusion on the Register.
The Children's Disability Register is not linked to any other registers or records held by the local authority, including the Child Protection Register or children about whom there are concerns.
Should my child be on the register?
Your child qualifies for inclusion if they meet all the following :
- live in Coventry or be the responsibility of Coventry City Council and
- be aged 0 to 18 years or be receiving education
- have a physical or mental impairment which is likely to have a substantial and long term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day to day activities
They may be children who need help with the following:
- intellectual development of learning
- personal and self care
- hearing and vision
- special treatment such as dialysis or medication
- independence appropriate for age, gender, cultural, religious or social circumstances
Children's Disability Team (0-18)
Coventry City Council, PO Box 15 Council House Coventry CV1 5RR
Please contact the Co-ordinator for a registration form.
Who to contact
- 02476787980 02476787980
Where to go
- Disabled Children's Team
Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
CV1 5RRView CV1 5RR on a map