Ataxia means 'lack of order'. People with ataxia have problems with movement, balance and speech. Over 10,000 people in the Uk have a form of ataxia. There is currently no cure but we are working to find one every day.
Ataxia UK works in two main ways:we fund research into finding treatments and a cure for ataxia, and we support people through our range of services.
Services we offer include:-
- Helpline and Advocacy service
- A range of free information resources and publications, including a quarterley magazine free to Friends (members)
- Regular events round the country
- Support through local groups and branches
- A range of grants to help with extra costs from having ataxia.
We also work to improve treatment and care for people affected by ataxia