Supporting pregnant women and new mums to make the journey into motherhood a positive one !
Becoming pregnant or being a new mum is a life changing experience for any woman.
Pregnancy and new motherhood is often imagined to be a time of great joy,happiness and excitement.However the reality for many mums is often far from this with women coping not only with huge physical changes but also changes in their emotions,relationships,sleep,routine, and often in all area of their lives.
For many women being pregnant or a new mum can be an overwhelming,frightening,difficult,exhausting and very stressful experience.Many also find it to be a very lonely experience especially for those without the support of friends and family.
Mums in Mind are there to help pregnant women and mums to increase their social and support networks,improve their confidence and self esteem,develop a range of coping skills,access local services and help to nurture the bond between mum and baby.
Who is Mums in Mind for ?
Mums in Mind is a service for women over 16 who are pregnant or who have a child under one year.The service may especially benefit those who :
- Feel lonely or isolated
- Lack the support of close family and friends
- Are single
- Are young
- Have suffered form anxiety or depression in the past
- Are in a difficult/abusive relationship or have been in the past
- Have low self esteem/confidence
What's on offer
Befriending - carefully selected and trained volunteers will be able to offer new mums and mums-to-be :
- Regular one to one emotional and practical support,encouragement and friendship
- Home visits or one to one support in a community setting
- Sessions tailored to individual needs offering a space to talk and offload
- Support and information about accessing other services
- Encouragement around self-help
Peer Support and Short Courses - wellbeing and coping skills courses which provide an opportunity to :
- Make friends
- Meet other mums
- Learn about yourself
- Learn relaxation techniques and coping skills
- Increase awareness about emotional wellbeing during pregnancy and motherhood