Children and Young Person’s Project (ChYPP) aims is to increase the life chances and opportunities for children and young people in Coventry by removing the barriers faced by their parents. We provide information, advice and representation services. We train and support professionals and work in partnership to deliver essential services. We work with groups and individuals to deliver Financial Information and Support Sessions and promote volunteering opportunities for our service users. We collect evidence on policies and practices that affect people’s lives, where we can lobby for change. The emphasis is on early intervention, based on Marmot themes, (http://www.instituteofhealthequity.org/) by taking advice out into the community, training information staff, empowering and improving financial confidence supported by specialist casework.
Citizens Advice Coventry are currently delivering the Children and Young Person Project (ChYPP) http://www.coventrycab.org.uk/chypp to support children to achieve and increase attainment at school by removing the social barriers parents face such as housing issues, health and financial issues. Many of the people in the community find accessing city centre services difficult because of their situation. We are preparing Coventry families for the soon to be implemented Universal credit coming to Coventry in December 2015.
The project aim is to increase the life chances and opportunities for children and young people in Coventry by removing the barriers faced by their parents. This is a valuable and interesting project which will extend advice provision to families across Coventry.
Our service provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. It values diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination, providing information on your rights, including benefits, housing, family matters and employment, and on debt, consumer, legal and general issues. The ChYPP service is committed to improving the long term out comes for children and their families and works with partner organisations including domestic and sexual violence services, smoking cessation services cook and eat well services to reduce the likelihood of intergenerational risks continuing. Following a referral from the Citizens Advice Coventry – clients engage with services.
• Initial assessment for services user including staff
• CAB resources and specialist advice, (BDS, hardship payments)
• Support with the CAF process
• Financial capability delivery
• Face to face, telephone and email support for services user and professionals
• Professional network meeting and best practice
• Volunteering opportunities
• Social policy work
Each of the schools have staff trained to identify advice issues and offer information and support. Where it is identified that a school user has complex needs or has multiple issues, the CAB information trained school staff have direct access to the Schools Project Adviser who will either book a face to face appointment for the client or offer telephone advice. The level of support offered is based on the client’s needs. Parents do not need to disclose their issue to the school as the service is confidential and they can ask for a direct referral.
- Aldermoor Farm Primary School-024 7645 6272
- Aldermans Green Primary School-024 7668 8918
- Broad Heath Primary School-024 7668 9558
- Baginton Fields Primary School-024 7630 3854
- Edgewick Primary School-024 7668 6893
- Frederick Bird Primary School-024 7622 1920
- Grangehurst Primary School-024 7636 5999
- Southfields Primary School-024 7622 6810
- Sherbourne Fields Primary School-024 7659 1501
- Spongate Primary School-024 7622 6031
- St Elizabeth’s Catholic Primary School -024 7668 7527
- St Mary & St Benedict Catholic Primary School-024 7622 9486
- St John Fisher Catholic Primary School-024 7644 3333
- Templars Primary School- 024 7646 6337
- Tiverton Special School-024 7659 4954
- Barrs Hill Secondary School-024 7623 4600
- Corley Centre-01676 540218
- Foxford Secondary School-024 7636 9200
- Lyng Hall Secondary School-024 7672 4960
- Whitley Academy-024 7630 2580
- Riverbank Academy-024 7630 3776