The Association for Post-Natal Illness is the leading organisation in its field, it is a Registered Charity (No. 280510) and it was established in 1979 to:
- - Provide support to mothers suffering from post-natal illness
- - Increase public awareness of the illness
- - To encourage research into its cause and nature
- The work of the Association is essential as post-natal illness affects between 70,000 and 100,000 women and their babies in the UK every year. It is rightly called 'the silent epidemic'.
- The Association provides a telephone helpline, information leaflets for sufferers and healthcare professionals as well as a network of volunteers (telephone and postal), who have themselves experienced postnatal illness.