The Council has a duty to provide free home to school transport for pupils of statutory school age, if the distance from the pupil's home address to the nearest school with available places meets the distance criteria.
Who can get help with free travel for the academic year ?
If you think your child may be eligible for free transport, your application should be made as soon as you know the secondary school to which your child has been allocated a place.
All pupils have to meet the general criteria or low income criteria as shown below. Pupils who already qualify for free transport under the previous policy, will retain their free pass providing there is no change in their circumstances.
- Pupils applying for assistance with travel must live within the Coventry boundary and be of statutory school age i.e. 5 - 16 years of age.
- Free Travel Passes are issued to pupils aged under eight years who live more than 2 miles from their nearest school and for pupils aged over eight years who live more than three miles from their nearest school with places available. Note: the 2 mile limit will also apply to children over 8 from low income families.
- Free transport will be provided for pupils attending the nearest school at which places are available if the distance from the home address to the school is more than 3 miles
- Secondary school pupils may be eligible for a bus pass if the distance from their home address to their nearest school at which places are available is in excess of three miles or two miles under low income rules. In each case this is measured by the nearest available walking route between the home address and the school
- If however, you successfully apply for a place for your child at a school that is not the nearest school with places available, you will not be eligible for a bus pass unless you qualify under the low-income criteria.
Low income entitlement
Low income families may also qualify for free travel. Low income families are defined as those who are entitled to free school meals or who are in receipt of their maximum level of working tax credit.
Pupils in years 7-11 from low income families will be entitled to free travel to: -
- One of the three nearest qualifying schools between 2 and 6 miles from their home
- The nearest school preferred by reason of a parent's religion or belief which is between 2 and 15 miles from their home