SpecialEffect is a charity dedicated to helping ALL young people with disabilities to enjoy computer games. For these children, the majority of computer games are simply too quick or too difficult to play, and we can help them and their parents to find out which games they CAN play, and how to adapt those games that they can't.
How does SpecialEffect help?
For young people with disabilities, the majority of computer games are simply too quick or too difficult to play. We can help them and their parents to find out which games they CAN play, and how to adapt those games that they can’t. We assist in the following ways:
- By adapting, developing and modifying cutting edge technology in our GamesLab and enabling young people to try out in a session in our GamesRoom.
- By supporting hospitals, hospices, special schools, etc in finding the right leisure technology for those young people who need it most, when they need it most, through our Roadshows.
- By loaning and supporting specialised games technology to young people through our Loan Library.
- By loaning and supporting gaze-controlled computers to people who have been paralysed due to a sudden injury or illness through our StarGaze Project.
- By providing information and training both at our Accessible Games Centre and through our website, in particular our Accessible GameBase.
Our team of specialist professionals have many years of experience in designing and adapting technology to help young people with physical and learning difficulties. Success with using this technology can lead to huge gains in self-confidence and motivation, and can provide a way for young people with disabilities to compete with others on a level playing field.We’re dedicated to providing the expertise necessary to enable everyone to enjoy the fun, friendship and challenges that can be found in the world of computer games and leisure.